SEARED SIRLOIN WITH ‘SHROOMS
- 2 sirloin steaks, 6 oz each
- 1/4 c chicken stock
- 1/2 c thinly sliced cremini mushrooms
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Plus: Salt and pepper; 1/4 tsp dried thyme; 1 clove garlic, crushed
How to make it:
1. Sear the steaks in a skillet on medium high (about 2 to 3 minutes per side), seasoning each side with a pinch of salt and pepper as the other side cooks. Remove the steaks from the skillet, and reduce the heat to medium.
2. Put the olive oil, thyme, and garlic in the skillet, stirring frequently and scraping with a spoon to release the brown bits left behind by the meat (about 30 seconds).
3. Add the stock and mushrooms, stirring often until the mushrooms soften (about 3 minutes).
Extra credit: Use red wine instead of chicken stock for a more sophisticated flavor.
Eat with: 1 1/2 c steamed broccoli
Makes 2 servings
Per serving, including broccoli:
507 calories, 49 g protein, 7 g carbohydrates, 31 g fat (12 g saturated), 3 g fiber, 267 mg sodium