Day 3 – 12 Miles completed (50 miles total)

I didn’t sleep worth a flip last night.  We stayed at a high school and i just couldn’t sleep well at all.  I’m a light sleeper and all the noises kept me awake.  Every time I moved to another classroom or hallway to get away from one noise, something else would keep me awake.

Anyhow, the lack of sleep and the soreness in my feet made today especially tough.  Robin (the trainer) taped up both of my ankles to counteract the effects of the tendonitis I am experiencing.  It is really painful.

As we walked, my team sort of split up into 3 groups because of the varying levels of soreness and energy.  Due to the pain I was feeling, I ended up in the back of our pack along with Marnie.  We talked to each other the entire time trying our best to keep the mind off of the pain.

Each rest stop to get water and food was actually a necessity we tried to avoid as much as we could.  It was always tough to get going after sitting down for even the shortest amount of time.  After stopping for 2 minutes to fill up water bottles and to stretch, we would stiffen up quite a bit.  So unless we were out of water or needed to hit the porta-potty, we’d just keep going.

There were so many times I was ready to give up.  There were a couple of rest stops that I would stretch or lie down for a few seconds and would feel really good afterwards.  However, the minute I started walking down the road again, the pain was almost unbearable.  Two things made it possible..  the duct tape that Robin put around my ankles (see photo from yesterday) and Marnie talking me on.

There were several times in our minds we probably both wanted to give up, but we didn’t speak it. 

We ended up at Lowe’s Motor Speedway with a great ceremony at the end.  Sorry that I don’t have any pictures, but I lost my camera at the high school somewhere.  The event was extremely emotional with everyone’s friends and family cheering us on.

By the time we got home, I couldn’t walk.  The ankles stiffened up on the ride home and I had to use my daughter’s crutches to get into the house.  I laid down on the couch, threw some ice on the feet and completely passed out.  I just woke up a few minutes ago.

I have to get on a plane in 5 hours to fly to Seattle for a week.  I’m not sure how I’m gonna make it, as my feet and tendons are still killing me.