Have a loved-one that is a triathlete or biker? Still scrambling for some stocking stuffer ideas? To the untrained eye, these may seem a bit cheesy, but trust me, if you want to get them something that they’ll actually need and use, then think about these. Not only are they practical and show that you’ve put some thought into their love of sport, but it’ll add a few snickers on Christmas morning. You can find most of these at your local bike, running or other sports-oriented store. (Throughout, I’m referring to this person as “him”, but can be very well a “her”)
1. Anything GU – Most athletes are in need of nutrition and can always use more. So stuff a few gels, a package of Chomps or maybe a single serving package (or two) of GU Brew. www.GUEnergy.com
2. Co2 cartridges – If he’s a biker of any sort, having extra Co2 cartridges handy will ensure he has a way to fix a flat. It may take a little bit of snooping to figure out if he needs the threaded or non-threaded type. Just check his current stash (usually in his seat bag or where he keeps the rest of his stuff). If you can’t figure it out, go with threaded. If it’s the wrong type, he can easily swap it out with the right ones at his favorite shop. Go with either 16oz or 20oz. www.genuineinnovations.com
3. Socks – Yep, you heard right. The same gift we used to dread getting when we were kids is a cool gift now. Well, they’re cool if you get the right socks. As long as they are for riding, then you can’t go wrong. There’s many to choose from out there, but the best ones come from Sugoi, Pearl Izumi, DeFeet and Sock Guy. You score extra points (and laughs) if you get some with a cool saying or picture on them. Can’t settle on the funny ones? Go a little more practical with wool socks (great this time of year) or Sugoi Compression socks which aid in recovery after a long ride.
4. Crankbrothers Multitool – You can’t get more handy or practical than a multitool. Necessary for trail-side or road-side repair of bike foul ups and tends to work better than a MacGyver twig and rock combo. Crankbrothers as many to choose from at different price ranges. My favorite is the mutli-17 since it comes with a chain tool. It even comes with a lifetime warranty. www.crankbrothers.com
5. Yankz Shoe Laces – If you have a runner or triathlete that you’re buying for, chances are that they may already be using these handy laces that allow them to get into and out of the shoes without untying. Even if they already have them, they can use an extra pair for when they buy another set of shoes. www.yankz.com